2nd Year Australia Visa Without Farm Work – Changes to Subclass 462

The changes to the second year Work and Holiday Visa requirements are all the talk in the traveller’s bubble here in Cairns.

And we are not surprised!

As of last November (November, 2016), hospitality work in Cairns became acceptable specified work in obtaining a 2nd year visa for people coming from specific countries.

You heard us right – a second year Australia visa no farm work necessary!

To avoid any confusion, here is our low down.

The change in 2nd year visa requirements only applies to countries who are coming to Australia under the Work and Holiday Visa subclass 462.

Those countries that are eligible for subclass 462 are the following:

  • Argentina
  • Bangladesh
  • Chile
  • China, People’s Republic of
  • Hungary
  • Indonesia
  • Israel
  • Luxembourg
  • Malaysia
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • San Marino
  • Slovak Republic
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Thailand
  • Turkey
  • USA
  • Uruguay

Additionally, the visa must have been undertaken after the 18th of November 2016.

For subclass 462, the specified work in the following approved industries must be competed in northern Australia:

  • plant and animal cultivation
  • fishing and pearling
  • tree farming and felling
  • tourism and hospitality

Specified tourism and hospitality work is any type of work described in the list below:

  • tourism and hospitality
  • work in a range of positions where the primary purpose is to directly provide a service to tourists, including tourist guides and operators, outdoor adventure or activity instructors, tourist transport services
  • gallery or museum managers, curators or guides
  • hospitality workers, including a range of positions in hotels or other accommodation facilities, restaurants, cafes, bars and casinos
  • conference and event organisers.

(Tip: Check this link out for the postal code list of designated areas to complete the regional work for the second year visa)

Now the Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) is NOT the same as the Working Holiday (subclass 417) which travellers from the UK, Ireland, Canada, Germany, etc. have come to Australia with.

The 417 visa holders are NOT eligible to use tourism and hospitality as their specified work. They can only complete specified work in the following categories:

  • plant and animal cultivation
  • fishing and pearling
  • tree farming and felling
  • mining
  • construction

Lastly, for both visa types, voluntary work will not meet the requirement. Even if you are working for accommodation, you will need proper pay slips. Therefore, this type of work is not accepted.

It must be three months of at least 35 hours a week for a combined 88 days.

For more information on changes in tax rates and what is happening next click here.

For additional information see this link by Immigration Gurus.

Good luck fellow travellers!

Leave a Reply